general weather info.

Ask weather questions, post your latest forecast, talk about anything related to the weather.
burr28514
Regular User

general weather info.

Post by burr28514 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:33 pm

Still no severe weather to speak of here in Minnesota, but hopefully soon that'll change.

Hey everybody, wow was it a cold one this morning in Northern Minnesota. I was looking at the NWS page here in Duluth Minnesota earlier Today and was looking at the low temperatures from this morning and some of them are quite stunning, especially for late April. Hibbing Minnesota dropped down to 18 degrees. Silver Bay Minnesota dropped to 19 degrees. And Embarrass Minnesota fell to a teeth shattering 10 degrees This Morning. BRRR!

I was also reading the forecast discussion out of Lacrosse Wisconsin earlier Today and found out that a band of snow occurred for a time on Tuesday over parts of Iowa, in fact the forecaster at Lacrosse was saying that some vehicles were off the road due to some snow accumulation on I80 in Iowa, one last gasp of winter i guess.

Last but not least, April of 2006 will go into the record books as one of the warmest Aprils ever here in Duluth Minnesota. As of the 23rd of April, the monthly temperature was 45.7 degrees at the Duluth Airport, which is 6.7 degrees above normal for April. This ties for the 2nd warmest April ever recorded here in Duluth Minnesota. The warmest April of all time occurred back in 1987 with an average monthly temperature of 46.1 degrees. I wonder if will get to the number one spot? Still 5 days left this month, so anything is possible. Thanks to the National Weather Service in Duluth Minnesota for this information.
Andrew Revering
Site Admin

Post by Andrew Revering » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:52 am

Interesting info... thanks for sharing all that.

Looks like a lot of rain coming from Overnight Thursday night into Friday morning into Sunday here in Minnesota. Perhaps as much as 0.50" - 2.00" across much of Minnesota by the time it ends on Sunday.

The heavy rains won't be exclusive to MN though. Looks like most of the central U.S. will see much of the same.
Andrew Revering
F5Weather
http://www.f5wx.com/
burr28514
Regular User

big cut-off low developing

Post by burr28514 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:35 pm

Hey, no problem about posting that weather information a few nights ago, hopefully the readers enjoy it. The weather is really never boring, well i don't think so anyways. Yes i live for severe weather, but there always seems to be something interesting going on in terms of weather here in the Upper Midwest.

Yea i was looking over the models here just recently and ya there showing one heck of a cut-off low forming over the central plains over the next 3-4 days. Doesn't look like this low will move toward the Ohio Valley states til maybe next Tuesday? So there's definately gonna be some heavy rainfall totals between Friday and Next Monday across the Plains and probably up into at least western and southern Minnesota. That won't be good news, especially in the Southeast South Dakota/Southwest Minnesota area seeing that they've had some flooding in the past few weeks.

Here in Duluth, we've had that pesky but very typical Hudson Bay high in place over the last few weeks, it comes and goes and well right now and thru the weekend the trend seems to be for the high to build in once again, so thinking that Duluth and around Lake Superior probably won't see much in the way of rainfall out of this massive low pressure system because of all the dry/stable air coming out of this high and also off Lake Superior. We actually need rain here in Duluth, it's been very dry this month as we've only had about 8 tenths of an inch of rainfall. And rain prospects don't look too promising for areas near Lake Superior anytime soon due to that blocking high off to our northeast. Just chilly and a cold wind off Lake Superior here in Duluth probably thru at least Sunday or Monday. But hey there'll be some white caps on Lake Superior, those are interesting to see.

Saw a few severe thunderstorm warnings earlier out over Eastcentral North Dakota, west of the Grand Forks and Fargo area, but that's about it in terms of severe weather out of this storm. I guess there could be a few more storms that get close to severe levels on Friday, but those will probably stay over the Dakotas..Maybe into far Western Minnesota. But the lowest lifted indices stay in the Dakotas based on the NAM model, and well those readings only drop to about minus 2 or minus 3 degrees and surface based capes remain at or below 500, so ya probably won't see much convection and severe weather across the Upper Midwest, gotta take a drive toward the Southern Plains for the severe weather over the next 2-3 days the way it's looking now.