FCST: 8/17/05 NW KS

Ask weather questions, post your latest forecast, talk about anything related to the weather.
Steve Miller
Moderate User

FCST: 8/17/05 NW KS

Post by Steve Miller » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:28 am

Has anyone on this board been looking at the potential for svr Wednesday in NW/NC KS? I have been watching a pretty consistent target of about 50 miles NE of Colby, KS.
Considering the horrible year I have had, I am actually considering the 7.5 hour drive to the target to see what happens... don't want to add insult to injury though.
Thoughts?
Steve Miller
Moore, OK
WX5RFD
www.HamWx.com
Andrew Revering
Site Admin

Re: FCST: 8/17/05 NW KS

Post by Andrew Revering » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:20 pm

Steve Miller wrote:Has anyone on this board been looking at the potential for svr Wednesday in NW/NC KS? I have been watching a pretty consistent target of about 50 miles NE of Colby, KS.
Considering the horrible year I have had, I am actually considering the 7.5 hour drive to the target to see what happens... don't want to add insult to injury though.
Thoughts?
I really wouldn't waste the gas money. I think early on the weak low and mid level winds are going to be a factor, and subsidence a factor all day long. Of course a typical problem this time of year is the weak surface features. I would say the best chances would be in the Jamestown/Valley City, ND area from 3pm on, and then perhaps again in central Nebraska.
Andrew Revering
F5Weather
http://www.f5wx.com/
Nick Benson
Light User

Re: FCST: 8/17/05 NW KS

Post by Nick Benson » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:57 am

Steve Miller wrote:Has anyone on this board been looking at the potential for svr Wednesday in NW/NC KS? I have been watching a pretty consistent target of about 50 miles NE of Colby, KS.
Thoughts?
Steve - I ran into you at the gas station in Cunningham, KS yesterday :) Did you all see the spin up?
Nick Benson
Steve Miller
Moderate User

Post by Steve Miller » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:59 pm

Yeah, I ran the name through my head when I got back in the car and put two and two together then realized that was you. Good to meet you!

We saw about a 7-second spin-up but felt it was far enough detached from the wall cloud that is wouldn't be considered anything special. We were actually about 100 yards from it. I figured it was a little geographically induced vortex off the RFD. I did note a warm RFD right then though... Who called in the report?
At that point in the storm cycle, we decided to let the wall cloud run over us just for fun... then the lightning kicked it in high gear.
We were almost struck twice with strikes less than 20 ft both times.
Ended up staying in Harper Co until a little after 10:00pm using up memory cards shooting beautiful CG's.
It was a good chase for August - hope to get out again soon.

BTW, that gas station had some killer beef jerky...
Steve Miller
Moore, OK
WX5RFD
www.HamWx.com